05/18/12: An important element in a sound financial plan can be Social Security. Recently the Social Security Administration has made it easier to review your eligibility and benefit amounts through the government program. Now your Social Security statement can be viewed online. According to their official website, you will be able to see the following valuable information:
- Estimates of the retirement and disability benefits you may receive
- Estimates of benefits your family may get when you receive Social Security or die
- A list of your lifetime earnings according to Social Security’s records
- The estimated Social Security and Medicare taxes you’ve paid
- Information about qualifying and signing up for Medicare
- Things to consider for those age 55 and older who are thinking of retiring
- General information about Social Security for everyone
- The opportunity to apply online for retirement and disability benefits
- A printable version of your Social Security Statement
To get your statement online, you must first create an account with them. Once you have an account, you can view your Social Security statement at any time.
To create an account, you must provide some personal information about yourself and give them answers to some questions that only you are likely to know.
Next, you create a user name and password that you will use to access your online account. This process protects you and keeps your personal Social Security information private.
To create your personal Social Security Account click here.
I hope this has been helpful to you. At fi-Plan Partners, we like to keep our clients and friends up to date with important information that could impact their investments and financial lives. If you have any questions about Social Security and the role it plays in your financial plan, please email me here.
Executive Vice President
Note: Because of regulations, comments have been turned off.