How do we create investment strategies?
Many of our clients ask us about the process our Portfolio Strategies Team uses to research market trends and how we create our investment strategies.
Our investment strategy process
Our process begins with each of us on the Portfolio Strategies Team conducting our own research and data gathering. Then, picture me walking into our daily team meeting to facilitate the sharing our findings in a bullet point fashion, followed by health debate and brainstorming.
Trends, data and research
Here are some recent bullet points we are debating and researching now:
- The economic growth, since the recovery began mid-2009, will continue to be lower than previous post recession recoveries.
- It could be a full 4 years before the Fed is in a position to raise interest rates.
- The Great Recession still persists for most Americans. Real hourly wages have risen only 0.7% since the recession ended and are 7.5% below the 1973 level.
- Birth rates continue to fall. Last year the U.S. birth rate was 600,000 below trend.
- The Fed has used up most of its ways to improve the U.S. economy. The Fed can raise or lower short term interest rates and buy and sell securities. The Fed had hoped quantitative easing would create a rise in stock prices and other asset prices that would inspire consumers and businesses to spend money. That hasn’t really happened.
- The unemployment numbers are tainted. The government will tell you it is 5.8% but the reality is closer to 13% due to the aging and retirement of baby boomers, as well as discouraged job seekers who have given up.
These are just a small handful of the trends, data and research we are looking at and debating as a team when we are developing investment strategies. As all five of our Portfolio Strategies Team members meet every morning and throughout the day, we are looking at every angle to create investment strategies designed with the goal to grow our clients’ wealth.
New market update
I will have a new market update letter going out to our clients next week with these bullet points and more as we look for new investment strategies. Please email me here or call me at (205) 989-3498 if you would like to talk with me about your investments or market concerns.
Greg Powell, CIMA
[contact-form-7 id=”3747″ title=”Contact form 1”]
Greg Powell is President and CEO of Fi Plan Partners, an independent investment firm in Birmingham, AL, serving clients across the nation through financial planning, wealth management and business consulting. Fi Plan Partners creates strategies in the best interest of their clients using both fee based investing and transactional investing.
The opinions voiced in this material are for general information only and are not intended to provide specific advice or recommendations for any individual. All performance referenced is historical and is no guarantee of future results. All indices are unmanaged and may not be invested into directly.
Stock investing involves risk including potential loss of principal. No strategy ensures success or protects against a loss.